A personal injury attorney can be a crucial asset in accident cases, providing legal expertise and support to help victims navigate the complexities of their claims. Here are five ways a personal injury attorney helps in accident cases:
Legal Guidance and Evaluation: After an accident, it can be overwhelming to understand your rights and legal options. A personal injury attorney can provide you with expert legal advice and evaluate the merits of your case. They will help you understand whether you have a valid claim and the potential compensation you may be entitled to.
Evidence Gathering and Investigation: Building a strong case requires gathering evidence to prove liability and damages. Personal injury attorneys have experience in investigating accidents, obtaining relevant documentation, witness statements, and other evidence needed to support your claim. This thoroughness is critical to presenting a compelling case.
Negotiation with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies are known for trying to settle claims for the lowest amount possible. Having an experienced personal injury attorney on your side can level the playing field. They will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf, ensuring your rights are protected and fighting for fair compensation.
Determining the Value of Your Claim: Calculating the full extent of your damages can be complex, as it may involve medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future costs related to the accident. A personal injury attorney can help assess the value of your claim accurately, ensuring you don’t settle for less than you deserve.
Litigation and Trial Representation: If the insurance company is unwilling to offer a fair settlement, your personal injury attorney can take your case to court. They will handle the entire litigation process, representing you in front of a judge and jury if necessary. Having a skilled litigator by your side increases your chances of obtaining a favorable verdict and the compensation you deserve.
In summary, a personal injury attorney brings their legal knowledge, negotiation skills, and advocacy to support accident victims in seeking fair compensation and justice for their injuries and losses. Their expertise can make a significant difference in the outcome of an accident case.
Statistics for accident cases with and without an attorney
Here are some statistics for accident claims with and without an attorney:
- Average settlement amount: With an attorney, the average settlement amount is $77,600. Without an attorney, the average settlement amount is $17,600. This means that you are more likely to receive a larger settlement if you have an attorney.
- Time to settlement: With an attorney, the average time to settlement is 12 months. Without an attorney, the average time to settlement is 24 months. This means that you are more likely to receive your settlement sooner if you have an attorney.
- Chance of winning: With an attorney, you have a 61% chance of winning your case at trial. Without an attorney, you have a 39% chance of winning your case at trial. This means that you are more likely to win your case if you have an attorney.
- Percentage of claims with an attorney: 60% of personal injury claims are filed with an attorney.
- Percentage of claims that settle: 96% of personal injury claims settle before going to trial.
- Percentage of claims that are won at trial: 40% of personal injury claims are won at trial.
Of course, these are just statistics and your individual results may vary. If you have been injured in an accident, it is important to speak with an attorney to discuss your specific case. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and can represent you in negotiations with the insurance company.